What impact do early experiences have on learning, behavior and health? How can science impact policies and practices in early learning, family support, foster care, child abuse and neglect?
The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services and the Illinois Governor's Office of Early Childhood Development partnered with Casey Family Programs to explore these questions at a forum held July 20, 2011, in Chicago.
The forum engaged national and state experts in helping Illinois' leaders in exploring scientific research and policy opportunities. Speakers included:
- Jack P. Shonkoff, M.D., Director, Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University
- Bryan Samuels, Commissioner, Administration on Children, Youth and Families
- Linda Gilkerson, Director, Irving B. Harris Infant Studies Program and Professor, Erikson Institute
- Erwin McEwen, Director, Illinois Department of Children and Family Services
- Shannon Christian, Director, Office of Early Childhood Development, Office of the Governor